Monday, January 6, 2014

One Woman's Journey to Self Esteem and Self Acceptance

I Am Happier, Heavier

Posted: 01/06/2014 10:08 am

Rachel Oh Uiginn Estapa
It's not insane to believe that once you lose weight, life gets better.
For years, I heard stories from those who have shed pounds, recharged their lives, never felt better, and speak so confidently that once the weight was gone, they became the person they were meant to be: a thin and happy one.
I do not doubt their happiness when they share their story, but I also don't believe that by losing weight, they have some superior knowledge about happiness that us heavier-folk don't. How do I know this? I've been fat and thinner. And I've been at my happiest, heavier.
End of high school and into college, I was BIG and used to decline attending parties because I didn't remotely have anything cute to wear, so I hid behind sarcasm and baggy shirts. And dating-wise... wait, WHAT dating life?
Midway through my freshman year of college I joined Weight Watchers and the gym, becoming obsessed with both. Within seven months, I lost 55 pounds, fit into a size ten and even felt sexy for about fifteen minutes!
But as the scale dipped lower and the compliments on my weight-loss wore off, something else emerged: I felt exhausted, disappointed and still unhappy.
"Ugh, I just can't keep this up..." I recall saying to myself after a Weight Watchers meeting, of which was my lowest weigh-in ever. I felt defeated and broken that after all my effort, not much beyond the scale changed.

Read More Here
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thank you for visiting my blog. Please share your thoughts and leave a comment :)